Cycling is something that I really love doing. It helps keep me fit and it gets me out the house. Which is a very good thing indeed, or I would just spend all my time playing on the net and watching way too much TV.
I enjoy cycling so much, that I have three bikes, which are Trek 830, Trek 810 and Trek 8.3 DS Hybrid Bike. The Trek 810, is the one that I use when up in Killearn, Scotland seeing my friends and family. I use Trek 810 and the Trek 8.3 DS Hybrid Bike ones the most, since they live with me in Castle Bytham, England.
Do I wear Lycra while cycling?
Yes of course. When you do has much cycling as I do, you really need to. Wearing a good pair of cycling shorts, helps to stop me from getting a sore bum. They also stop the wind from slowing me down so much. Even better still, they look and feel great on.
Cycling vlogs (updated section: 24/04/2018)
Below are my newest cycling vlogs, more can be found @ www.gordon-valentine.com/cycling/cycling-vlogs/.
Yep it’s April showers time
Where I am?? Sure I am lost!!
It’s HOT, so the summer gear is out!
Summer is here!!! 21C!!
Unsuitable for motors, my type of road!
Let’s play a game… Where I am?
GoPro Hero 5 Session cycling vlog
Another cycle in just a wetsuit
Cycling statistics (updated section: 11/07/2018)
Below are my cycling statistics from the last two years. For data back to April 2003, check out the cycling statistics page.
January: 252.2 (68+)
February: 108.1 (-258.7)
March: 498 (72.2+)
April: 403.1 (89+)
May: 494.2 (80.6+)
June: 777.5 (255.8+)
July: 320.2 (-492.6)
August: 447.1 (-106.9)
September: 140.6 (-43.7)
October: 302.3 (58.9+)
November: 356.5 (114.6+)
December: 33.1 (-288.1)
Total: 4,147.5 miles.
Current statistics (Updated: 11/07/2018)
January: 253 (0.8+)
February: 120.8 (12.7+)
March: 283.6 (-214.3)
April: 350.3 (-52.8)
May: 137.6 (-356.6)
June: 303.3 (-477.2)
July: 226.4 (-93.8)
Total: 1,671.9 miles.
Total miles: 51,113.3 (since April 2003).
Key: ( )=-/+ same month of previous year.
Favourite cycle routes
Below is information, route maps and photos of the cycles that I enjoy doing the most. Also check out my cycling maps section.
The routes are sorted by country, then by distance, with the shortest being first.
Routes in England
- Little Bytham to Witham on the Hill (3 miles)
- Castle Bytham loop (6 miles)
- Little Bytham to Stamford (7 miles)
- Little Bytham to Rutland Water (10 miles)
- Little Bytham to Tallington (11 miles)
- Swayfield loop (12 miles) : added 19/01/2012
- Little Bytham to Grantham (16 miles)
- Corby Glen loop (17 miles)
- Colsterworth loop (19 miles)
- Burton Coggles loop (20 miles) : added 15/01/2012
- Peterborough to Little Bytham (23 miles)
- Bassingthorpe loop (24 miles)
- Little Bytham to Peterborough (24 miles)
- Great Ponton loop (28 miles) : added 09/01/2012
- Little Bytham to Wansford (30 miles) : updated : 24/03/2013
Routes in Scotland
- Killearn to Drymen (4 miles)
- Killearn to Balmaha (9 miles)
- Killearn to Aberfoyle (12 miles)
- Queen’s View loop (13 miles) : added 10/05/2012
- Killearn to Rowardennan (15 miles) : added 16/01/2012
- Killearn to Glasgow (16 miles)
- Crow Road loop (26 miles) : added 16/01/2012
- Duke’s Pass (36 miles) : added 16/01/2012
Useful links (updated section: 14/03/2018)
- Bikeradar.com – Bike reviews, bike gear, parts and accessories, over 30,000 cycling routes, news and race results.
- CatEye – Cycle computers and bicycle lighting systems.
- Cycling UK – The UK’s national cyclists’ organisation.
- British Cycling – The internationally recognised governing body of cycle sport in the UK.
- National Cycle Network – Which has created over 10,000 miles of signed cycle routes.
- OpenCycleMap.org – Maps designed for cyclists, showing cycle routes and infrastructure.
- A.W. Cycles – A great bike shop.
- Chain Reaction Cycles – A great cycling shop.
- Edinburgh Bicycle – A great cycling shop, with lots of other useful stuff on their website too.
- Evans Cycles – A great cycling shop.
- Nelosporto – A great place to place cycling gear from.
- Rutland Cycling – A great bike shop.
- Sustrans shop – They sell a comprehensive selection of the very best cycle maps and guides. From National Cycle Network and family cycling to touring and mountain biking. Also take a look at our great range of clothing and accessories.
- Wiggle – A great place to buy cycling gear.
Updated : 11/07/2018