Cycling is something that I really love doing. It helps keep me fit and it gets me out the house. Which is a very good thing indeed, or I would just spend all my time playing on the net and watching way too much TV.
I enjoy cycling so much, that I have three bikes, which are Trek 830 and Trek 8.3 DS Hybrid. The Trek 830, is the one that I use when up in Killearn, Scotland seeing my friends and family. I use Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc ’16 and the Trek 8.3 DS Hybrid ones the most, since they live with me in South Witham, England.
Do I wear Lycra while cycling?
Yes of course. When you do has much cycling as I do, you really need to. Wearing a good pair of cycling shorts, helps to stop me from getting a sore bum. They also stop the wind from slowing me down so much. Even better still, they look and feel great on.
Cycling vlogs (updated section: 21/09/2020)
Below are my newest cycling vlogs, more can be found at www.gordon-valentine.com/cycling/cycling-vlogs/.
3,000 miles on the bike so far!
Yet another 200 miles on the bike! And even more fun!
600 miles of cycling in August
200 miles of cycling in a week!
2,000 miles of cycling! TICK!
Vlog – 1 June 2020
55,000 miles of cycling!
Cycling in Castelli Body Paint 3.3 Speed Suit
Castelli Body Paint 3.3 Speed Suit
Loving my neoprene overshoes
Is cycling in a wetsuit a good idea?
Yep it’s April showers time
Cycling statistics (updated section: 21/02/2021)
Below are my cycling statistics from the last two years. For data back to April 2003, check out the cycling statistics page.
January: 133.0 (14.8+)
February: 160.3 (-97.5)
March: 91.7 (-26.9)
April: 259.5 (-93)
May: 429.8 (306.9+)
June: 446.3 (212.1+)
July: 418.9 (-32.2)
August: 607.4 (338+)
September: 661.7 (530.9+)
October: 458.2 (279.4+)
November: 373.2 (318.5+)
December: 154.9 (85.8+)
Total: 4,194.8 miles.
Current statistics (Updated: 21/02/2021)
January: 282.1 (149.1+)
February: 146.7 (-13.7)
Total: 428.7 miles.
Total miles: 59,581.3 (since April 2003).
Key: ( )=-/+ same month of previous year.
Favourite cycle routes
Below is information, route maps and photos of the cycles that I enjoy doing the most. Also check out my cycling maps section.
The routes are sorted by country, then by distance, with the shortest being first.
Routes in England
- Little Bytham to Witham on the Hill (3 miles)
- Castle Bytham loop (6 miles)
- Little Bytham to Stamford (7 miles)
- Little Bytham to Rutland Water (10 miles)
- Little Bytham to Tallington (11 miles)
- Swayfield loop (12 miles) : added 19/01/2012
- Little Bytham to Grantham (16 miles)
- Corby Glen loop (17 miles)
- Colsterworth loop (19 miles)
- Burton Coggles loop (20 miles) : added 15/01/2012
- Peterborough to Little Bytham (23 miles)
- Bassingthorpe loop (24 miles)
- Little Bytham to Peterborough (24 miles)
- Great Ponton loop (28 miles) : added 09/01/2012
- Little Bytham to Wansford (30 miles) : updated : 24/03/2013
Routes in Scotland
- Killearn to Drymen (4 miles)
- Killearn to Balmaha (9 miles)
- Killearn to Aberfoyle (12 miles)
- Queen’s View loop (13 miles) : added 10/05/2012
- Killearn to Rowardennan (15 miles) : added 16/01/2012
- Killearn to Glasgow (16 miles)
- Crow Road loop (26 miles) : added 16/01/2012
- Duke’s Pass (36 miles) : added 16/01/2012
Useful links (updated section: 05/07/2019)
- Bikeradar.com – Bike reviews, bike gear, parts and accessories, over 30,000 cycling routes, news and race results.
- CatEye – Cycle computers and bicycle lighting systems.
- Cycling UK – The UK’s national cyclists’ organisation.
- British Cycling – The internationally recognised governing body of cycle sport in the UK.
- National Cycle Network – Which had created over 10,000 miles of signed cycle routes.
- OpenCycleMap.org – Maps designed for cyclists, showing cycle routes and infrastructure.
- A.W. Cycles – A great bike shop.
- Chain Reaction Cycles – A great cycling shop.
- Edinburgh Bicycle – A great cycling shop, with lots of other useful stuff on their website too.
- Evans Cycles – A great cycling shop.
- Nelosporto – A great place to place cycling gear from.
- ProBikeKit – A great place to buy cycling gear.
- Rutland Cycling – A great bike shop.
- Sustrans shop – They sell a comprehensive selection of the very best cycle maps and guides. From National Cycle Network and family cycling to touring and mountain biking. Also take a look at our great range of clothing and accessories.
- Wiggle – A great place to buy cycling gear.
Updated : 21/02/2021