Cycling is something that I really love doing. It helps keep me fit and it gets me out the house. Which is a very good thing indeed, or I would just spend all my time playing on the net and watching way too much TV.
I enjoy cycling so much, that I have three bikes, which are Trek 830 and Trek 8.3 DS Hybrid. The Trek 830, is the one that I use when up in Killearn, Scotland seeing my friends and family. I use Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc ’16 and the Trek 8.3 DS Hybrid ones the most, since they live with me in South Witham, England.
Do I wear Lycra while cycling?
Yes of course. When you do has much cycling as I do, you really need to. Wearing a good pair of cycling shorts, helps to stop me from getting a sore bum. They also stop the wind from slowing me down so much. Even better still, they look and feel great on.
Cycling vlogs (updated section: 19/04/2021)
Below are my newest cycling vlogs, more can be found at www.gordon-valentine.com/cycling/cycling-vlogs/.
60,000 miles, since April 2003
3,000 miles on the bike so far!
Yet another 200 miles on the bike! And even more fun!
600 miles of cycling in August
200 miles of cycling in a week!
2,000 miles of cycling! TICK!
Vlog – 1 June 2020
55,000 miles of cycling!
Cycling in Castelli Body Paint 3.3 Speed Suit
Castelli Body Paint 3.3 Speed Suit
Loving my neoprene overshoes
Is cycling in a wetsuit a good idea?
Yep it’s April showers time
Cycling statistics (updated section: 29/07/2021)
Below are my cycling statistics from the last two years. For data back to April 2003, check out the cycling statistics page.
January: 133.0 (14.8+)
February: 160.3 (-97.5)
March: 91.7 (-26.9)
April: 259.5 (-93)
May: 429.8 (306.9+)
June: 446.3 (212.1+)
July: 418.9 (-32.2)
August: 607.4 (338+)
September: 661.7 (530.9+)
October: 458.2 (279.4+)
November: 373.2 (318.5+)
December: 154.9 (85.8+)
Total: 4,194.8 miles.
Current statistics (Updated: 29/07/2021)
January: 282.1 (149.1+)
February: 256.1 (95.8+)
March: 275.7 (181.1+)
April: 313.1 (53.6+)
May: 359.6 (-70.2)
June: 395.6 (-50.7)
July: 281.4 (-137.5)
August: 0.0 (-607.4)
Total: 2,163.6 miles.
Total miles: 61,316.1 (since April 2003).
Key: ( )=-/+ same month of previous year.
Favourite cycle routes
Below is information, route maps and photos of the cycles that I enjoy doing the most. Also check out my cycling maps section.
The routes are sorted by country, then by distance, with the shortest being first.
Routes in England
- Little Bytham to Witham on the Hill (3 miles)
- Castle Bytham loop (6 miles)
- Little Bytham to Stamford (7 miles)
- Little Bytham to Rutland Water (10 miles)
- Little Bytham to Tallington (11 miles)
- Swayfield loop (12 miles) : added 19/01/2012
- Little Bytham to Grantham (16 miles)
- Corby Glen loop (17 miles)
- Colsterworth loop (19 miles)
- Burton Coggles loop (20 miles) : added 15/01/2012
- Peterborough to Little Bytham (23 miles)
- Bassingthorpe loop (24 miles)
- Little Bytham to Peterborough (24 miles)
- Great Ponton loop (28 miles) : added 09/01/2012
- Little Bytham to Wansford (30 miles) : updated : 24/03/2013
Routes in Scotland
- Killearn to Drymen (4 miles)
- Killearn to Balmaha (9 miles)
- Killearn to Aberfoyle (12 miles)
- Queen’s View loop (13 miles) : added 10/05/2012
- Killearn to Rowardennan (15 miles) : added 16/01/2012
- Killearn to Glasgow (16 miles)
- Crow Road loop (26 miles) : added 16/01/2012
- Duke’s Pass (36 miles) : added 16/01/2012
Useful links (updated section: 05/07/2019)
- Bikeradar.com – Bike reviews, bike gear, parts and accessories, over 30,000 cycling routes, news and race results.
- CatEye – Cycle computers and bicycle lighting systems.
- Cycling UK – The UK’s national cyclists’ organisation.
- British Cycling – The internationally recognised governing body of cycle sport in the UK.
- National Cycle Network – Which had created over 10,000 miles of signed cycle routes.
- OpenCycleMap.org – Maps designed for cyclists, showing cycle routes and infrastructure.
- A.W. Cycles – A great bike shop.
- Chain Reaction Cycles – A great cycling shop.
- Edinburgh Bicycle – A great cycling shop, with lots of other useful stuff on their website too.
- Evans Cycles – A great cycling shop.
- Nelosporto – A great place to place cycling gear from.
- ProBikeKit – A great place to buy cycling gear.
- Rutland Cycling – A great bike shop.
- Sustrans shop – They sell a comprehensive selection of the very best cycle maps and guides. From National Cycle Network and family cycling to touring and mountain biking. Also take a look at our great range of clothing and accessories.
- Wiggle – A great place to buy cycling gear.
Updated : 29/07/2021